Achieving a radiant, sun-kissed glow with a gradual tanner could not be easier. No longer will you need to worry about unwanted streaks or the dreaded orange palms. When applied correctly, a daily gradual tanner will help you to build up an envious, natural-looking summer bronze all year round.
Become a Gradual Tanning pro by learning exactly how it works, it it's suitable for you and how to wear it like our globally renowned tanning artists.
How Does Gradual Tan Work?
Unlike conventional tanning products, gradual tanners do not tan the skin instantly. Instead, they are designed to create a subtle, illuminating glow that can be applied and built up daily. Gradual tanners are a fantastic choice for those new to the art of sunless tanning because they are practically foolproof. Their smooth formula often contains shea butter and oils which allows the product to glide on evenly, reducing the risk of streaking. And, as they generally give a lighter finish on the skin than standard tans, the risk of patching of streaking is dramatically decreased.
Gradual tanners are also the perfect faux-glow products if you’re looking to create a base colour to extend the wear of your sunless tan and ensure that it fades beautifully and naturally.
6 Steps on How to Apply Gradual Tan to your Face and Body
Follow our quick and easy 6 steps below on how to apply a gradual tan to your face and body to achieve the perfect, at home faux glow:
- First, you’ll need to create a smooth canvas for the tan to apply evenly, so clean and exfoliate your skin and remove unwanted hair.
- To self-tan your face, take a small amount of the gradual tan and apply an even layer over your face, down your neck and over your décolletage.
- When applying gradual tanner to your body, take a small amount and apply an even layer to each limb, massaging into the skin using circular motions.
- After you’ve finished applying the gradual tan, wash your hands. While gradual tan won’t stain your palms as much as regular tan, it’s still best to avoid the risk.
- Continue to apply the gradual tanner every day to build up the colour until you’re 100% happy with your seamless, sunless glow.
- Moisturise every day to prolong your tan and keep your skin soft and glowing.
How Long Does Gradual Tan Take to Develop?
When applied on a daily basis, a gradual tan will take two to three days to develop fully into a light, natural glow. The beauty of gradual tan is its ability to be topped up every few days to keep up a consistent colour. Plus, with the extra added moisturiser your skin will feel nourished and hydrated which will help your tan stay flawless for longer and fade subtly.
Using a gradual tanner is a much easier way of maintaining a sun-kissed glow all year round.
Is Gradual Tan Safe to use when Pregnant?
Gradual tan is safe to use while pregnant as the main ingredient is dihydroxyacetone (DHA), which is a non-toxic substance that reacts with the outer layer of your skin to produce a brown pigment, but is not absorbed into the body so won’t cause any harm to your baby. The kind of tans to avoid while pregnant is spray tans as the fumes can easily be inhaled.
However, with the changes in your hormones during this time, you may develop an allergy to the tan, even if you have used it before. We always recommended testing the tan on a small patch of skin first to see if any reactions happen, or to visit your local GP before applying a new product.
If previous fake tans have irritated your skin, take a look at our ultimate guide to fake tan for sensitive skin.