AM I ROSE, HONEY OR OLIVE?
We suggest using the following guidelines when deciding what shade you are:
- Natural Rose – Fair skin tone with cool undertones of pink, blue and red.
- Natural Honey – Fair or medium skin tone with warm undertones of yellow, peach and gold.
- Natural Olive – Darker skin tone with a neutral or warm undertone that is usually green.
If you are still unsure of what shade to choose drop us an email with a picture of your skin tone, we would be happy to help advice!
WHY IS AMANDA HARRINGTON LONDON DIFFERENT TO OTHER TANNING BRANDS?
Here at Amanda Harrington London, we are taking sunless tanning to the next level. With our first-to-market brushes, there is no other tanning brand that can ensure the same natural, flawless finish like we can.
HOW DO I LOOK AFTER MY BRUSHES?
Our brushes are made from 100% natural hair. This means to get the best out of your brush they need to be looked after like a makeup brush. During the first few uses of the brush they may moult, which is completely normal with natural hair. If this occurs, wait for the product to dry on your skin before removing any stray hairs. To avoid this happening, we recommend washing your brush with our Gentle Brush Care Shampoo.
WILL THE TAN PROTECT MY SKIN FROM UV RAYS?
No. The Amanda Harrington London range does not have any SPF in it’s ingredients, therefore if you are exposing your skin to UV rays, always remember to wear extra protection. When possible, wear an SPF that is oil free as oil can break down tan and cause it to separate on the skin.
HOW LONG WILL THE TAN LAST?
Buffing the tan into the skin with the brushes will cause the tan to penetrate deeper layers of your skin. This means that the tan will last longer than other tans, with an expected 7-10 day lifespan. The tan will then gently start to fade like a natural sun tan would.
CAN I USE THE TAN IF I HAVE SENSITIVE SKIN?
We would always advise that if you suffer from sensitive skin you do a patch test 24 hours before you apply the tan. If you have any concerns about any ingredients in the products, please consult your GP before applying it to the skin.
CAN I USE THE TAN IF I AM PREGNANT?
The Cosmetic, Toiletry and Perfumery Association (CTPA) state that self tanning products are safe to use during pregnancy, and nothing has been proven to suggest that self tan impacts the unborn child nor the mother. If you are concerned about this though we would suggest consulting your GP or midwife.
Are you vegan? / Do you test on animals?
Our products are all 100% vegan and we never test on animals. Our brushes are made of Grade A Natural Goat Hair, however you can find a mini vegan kabuki brush in our Jet Set Duo and we have plans to move all our brushes to a synthetic vegan composition in the near future.
What’s the difference Gradual Tan and Mousse (or Mist)?
- Our gradual tan has a low level of the DHA tanning agent in it and this needs to be built up over time to develop a colour and this will produce a subtle glow. It can be used alone to build a natural-looking tan or can be used to maintain an existing sunless tan.
- Our Body Mousse and Face Mist contain a much higher level of the tanning agent, DHA, which instantly changes the colour of your skin, and which also develops over 6-8 hours. This is still buildable as products are easy to blend but you will also see an instant change as they are tinted in colour to ensure even coverage.
How do your tanning products work with SPF?
- If you are applying your tan in the morning, we would recommend using your Gradual Tan, then your (oil-free) SPF and apply your Face Mist over the top. We are true advocates that you should always wear sunscreen. Sunscreen is essential whether you are wearing fake tan or not, as it helps protect the skin from harmful UV rays. The best advice we have ever heard is that the best anti-ageing technique is to wear SPF on your face every single day.
- There is no right or wrong time to apply sunless tanning products – it is all about personal preference. But because lots of tans develop gradually, most people prefer to apply them in the evening so that their colour can develop while they sleep.
- If you are wearing tan, then oil-free SPFs are your saviour. They are tan-compatible meaning they work together with the tan, not against it, as oil is notorious for disrupting the tan, causing it to separate on the skin!
Which products are non-comedogenic?
- New Skin Face & New Skin Body
- Ultimate Face & Ultimate Body Miracle Moisture Cream
- Perfect Face & Perfect Body Ultimate Gradual Tan
- Ultra Balm Universal Rescue Cream
- Our Face Mist and Body Mousse are in the process of being tested and we hope to add them to the non-comedogenic list very soon.
Why no alcohol in your products?
Alcohol dehydrates your skin and causes the tan to appear patchy and scaly and it is notorious for drying out your skin. Our products are water-based as this hydrates your skin, allowing the product to be layered and built to your desired depth of colour.
What does Aloe Vera do?
Aloe Vera is a natural antioxidant and contains vitamins C and E which help fight the signs of ageing. It is calming, cooling and gentle for sensitive skin, whilst being hydrating and it creates a perfect base for the tan to avoid skin being dehydrated. For more information, visit our journal page.
Is the face mist a makeup or a tanning product?
- Our illuminating bronzing mist has beautiful light-reflecting illuminators and semi-permanent bronze finish to give you the confidence to go foundation-free so can be used as a replacement for your base makeup if you desire
- Our mist can be applied am/pm whichever is more convenient for you. Leave this on for 6-8 hours for optimum development time and then wash this off with water, you will be left with a semi-permanent glow for 2-3 days. Note, that using tan compatible skincare will allow for the optimum life span. Ingredients such as retinol, AHA’s or oil-based products can speed up the breakdown of the tan, causing it to separate and consequently reducing the longevity of your glow.
What does Hyaluronic Acid do? Which products is this in?
- Its main function is to retain water to keep your skin lubricated and moist. Using this in our products ensures our skin is hydrated and will give ensure a longer lasting tan.
- Both our Illuminating Bronzing Face Mist and award-winning Bronzing Body Mousse contain Hyaluronic Acid. The formula of Hyaluronic Acid combined with Aloe Vera, Collagen and CQ10 along with light-reflecting illuminators ensures skin tone is evened out, radiance is added, and confidence is boosted.
Can you still use our products even if you have eczema or psoriasis?
Our products are packed full of hydrating ingredients to nourish and protect your skin, however, if you are at all concerned about using our products, we recommend checking in with a health professional prior to application to ensure that products are suitable for your skin condition. There is also the option to pop into one of our stockists to try the products on your skin prior to purchasing. We have a full list of ingredients on our website next to each product for transparency.
Can I still tan while wearing the Amanda Harrington products?
We would adore you to wear our tan on your holiday, however, please note none of our products contain an SPF and we would always use an SPF alongside our products to protect your skin from harmful UV rays. Our tan can last up to 7 days when using tan compatible skincare, so you may want to pack your mousse with you to top up to ensure a long lasting glow. The glycolic acid in our New Skin Body and Face can increase sensitivity to UVA/UVB so it is advised to wear a broad spectrum SPF prior to sun exposure, even in the winter and on cloudy days. For more information, visit our journal page.
When is best time to tan?
Our tan has been designed to slot into your existing skincare routine. This can be applied in the morning or the evening, whichever is more convenient for you. Just ensure that once applied you leave this on for 6-8 hours for optimum development time to allow the product to sufficiently penetrate your upper layers of skin, so once washed off you will be left with a semi-permanent glow. For more information on our tanning timetable, visit our journal.
How do I use with makeup?
Cleanse, tone, serum and use our gradual tan in replacement for your moisturiser, you can then apply a layer of our face mist to create a flawless, bronzed base. As our illuminating bronzing mist gives such amazing coverage, you may not feel the need to apply a full face of base makeup, however should you choose to do so, we recommend waiting 15 minutes before applying foundation to ensure that the product isn’t dislodged. If you are just applying concealer and additional face makeup, you can do this straight away! For more information, visit our journal.
How do I tan my back?
Here are some tips to help you tan your back:
- Tip 1 – Always apply tan front of a mirror, full length if possible
- Tip 2 – Ask someone to help “paint” your back. Feedback from partners, friends and kids is that the brush is much more fun and easy to use than a mitt. They are more likely to oblige using a brush for it is less messy and more precise.
- Tip 3 – DIY using the technique below: stretch and loose up your arms and shoulders - Apply the body mousse using the back of your gloved hand, to the back itself and use the other arm to apply the palm to the same area in order to distribute the tan evenly by swiping back and forth.
How to prepare your skin for a sunless tan?
We recommend exfoliating 12-24 hours before tanning to allow the pores enough time to close slightly before the application of our tanning products. We have gorgeous New Skin Glycolic Pads and New Skin Body Scrub that gently work to exfoliate the skin using natural fruit acids to retexture and resurface the skin, keeping it hydrated and giving you the perfect, prepped base for our 3-step method. For more tips, visit our journal.
How do you maintain your sunless tan?
Regular moisturisation is the key to a long lasting tan. For optimum tan lifespan results, avoid using exfoliating/oil based ingredients whilst your tan is on. You can use these to prep the skin and to start the tanning process again ensuring any old tan has been removed. Using retinols, AHA’s or oil-based ingredients will speed up the breakdown of the tan and reduce the longevity of your glow, meaning you will need to reapply more often. For more information, visit our journal.
Why do you not have a Mitt in the range?
Mitts harbour bacteria as they are a flat surface. You cannot paint a 3D body with a 2D tool, they absorb half the product and assist tan to cling to dryer areas of the body such as knees, elbows and wrists. Our innovative brushes allow for an even, natural and long lasting glow with the ability to move around stubborn areas of the body such as hands and feet to buff out the tan for a streak free glow. To find out more about why we recommend Better by Brush, read our journal.
How do I work this into my skincare routine and what hours of the day should I tan?
Our tanning products have been designed to slot into your existing skincare routine. When using this in the morning, ensure that you have cleansed, toned, applied your serum(s) and used our gradual tan in replacement for your moisturiser, you would then apply this and leave for 6-8 hours to develop. If you are applying this in the evening, again make sure it is the last step in your skincare routine. Our products are transfer free so you don’t have to worry about tan transferring onto clothing/bedding.
How to remove fake tan from your hands
Our New Skin Glycolic Pads can help to remove stubborn areas of tan, alternatively you can soak your hands in a warm oily bath and using an old towel/flannel when drying them, using upward sweeping motions gently remove the excess. For more information, visit our journal page.
How to prevent staining your hands ankles etc
Ultra Balm, our buttery barrier cream has been designed for drier and patch-prone areas of the body such as hands, wrists, knees, ankles and toes, or hyper pigmentation on the skin. Apply an even layer of this before our 3-Step method and massage into these areas. When your 3-Step method is applied on top, this cream will stop tan collecting and saturating on these areas to create a natural looking glow. For more information, visit our journal page.
How to remove a sunless fake tan
We recommend you soak in an oily bath for 20 minutes or use an exfoliator, then when drying off, with an old towel, using upward sweeping motions, gently remove excess tan. For more tips, visit our journal here. Also our Glycolic Pads are great for removing stubborn old tan marks/stains.
When can I expect my order to arrive?
Please see our detailed Delivery and Returns page for further information. https://www.amandaharrington.com/pages/delivery-returns
I want to cancel/amend my order
Once an order has been placed, please note that we are unable to amend items in your order or change your address. We may be able to cancel this if you contact us immediately and can only do this if your order has not yet been processed. We of course will try our best to accommodate change where possible but cannot always guarantee this can be done.
Can I return my item(s)?
You have the right to return any product in its original condition for a full refund within 14 days from the date of delivery. To be eligible for a refund your item(s) must be unused and in their original packaging.
When are my item(s) non-returnable?
Except when the products are damaged or faulty, you are not entitled to a refund if the products are received to us in an unsaleable and used condition. We do not offer a refund for sale/discounted items unless the product(s) are faulty or defective.
Our full returns policy can be found here: https://www.amandaharrington.com/pages/delivery-returns
Can I track my order?
As soon as your order has been despatched you will receive an automatic email with tracking information. If you are having issues tracking this, please go directly to Royal Mail/DPD/DHL site and enter your code there. If for any reason you have not received a despatch notification and it has been longer than you expected, reach out to us on firstname.lastname@example.org with your order number and we will get you an update.
My order says it has been delivered but it is not here
If you have received a notification saying your order has been delivered but you did not sign for this, please check the delivery signature/proof of delivery to ensure that this hasn’t been left with a neighbour or in a safe place. Should you not find this, please contact us on email@example.com and we will investigate this and get your order to you as soon as possible.
Taxes and Duties
Any additional Tax/customs costs will be the customers responsibility.
There is a problem with my item(s)/ Missing an item
If the product(s) you received are damaged or faulty, or you receive products that were not what you originally ordered, we will be happy to exchange these items or offer you a full refund.
Please notify us as soon as possible by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We would appreciate the following details to help us resolve this as quickly as possible for you: your name, order number, details of the issue, and any photo evidence.
Why did I not receive my samples?
To receive our samples, these need to be added to your basket at checkout.
If not selected at checkout, we are unable to include them in your order. We are unable to ship these out individually due to the limited amount of stock we have available – they can only be shipped out with orders.
We reserve the right to remove samples at any given time, without warning, as these are complimentary and have limited availability. Samples may be removed from checkout at our discretion.
There are issues with your website, it won’t let me check out?
Please check the following:
- That you have entered all your information correctly, including your billing/shipping address with the correct spaces and numbers
- That your page doesn’t need to be refreshed, or reloaded on a different device/browser
- That all items are in stock
- That any discount codes being used are in line with our Terms and Conditions
Should you still be encountering issues, reach out to us on email@example.com with: a screenshot of the issue you’re experiencing, a description of the time you attempted to purchase, the products in your basket, the browser/device being used, and any other details you think may be helpful.
I have had an allergic reaction
We’re truly sorry that this has happened and hope that you’re okay. We recommend that you discontinue using this product straight away, and contact our customer service team with the following information: your order number, the product(s) that you have reacted to, any photos which you have captured of this reaction, and a description of the reaction. We will of course investigate this immediately and get back to you as a matter of urgency. Please send your email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.